100% Plane 2 Full Face Helmet Lands, Loaded with Proprietary Tech
THe new 100% Aircraft 2 full face helmet has landed. The brand’s proprietary Smartshock Technology headlines the new entry, in conjunction with a patent-pending, injection-molded chin bar and multi-density EPS foam.
The new release builds on 100%’s previous downhill/BMX Aircraft helmet. Here’s what we know so far.
100% Aircraft 2 Helmet Spec Sheet
The feature list for the Aircraft 2 helmet looks like this:
- Carbon fiber shell with a patent-pending injection-molded chin bar integration
- 14-point Smartshock rotational protective system
- Dual-density EPS with size-specific polycarbonate injection molding
- Massive airflow with 20 oversized ventilation ports
- Multi-point adjustable visor designed for maximum visibility and goggle stowage
- Washable, moisture-wicking, anti-microbial suede comfort liner
- D-ring buckle for a secure fit and maximum security
- Certified ASTM (F1952-15), CPSC (16 CFR 1203), CE (EN 1078:2012+A1:2012)
Overall, the specs look strongly similar to that of the original Aircraft helmet. But a few changes differentiate the new model.
Analysis and Smartshock Differentiation
The Aircraft 2 helmet seems roughly identical to its predecessor in the areas of form factor and user comfort. The washable, anti-microbial liner is familiar, as are the D-ring buckle and multi-point visor.
Notably, however, the Aircraft 2 cuts down on vents: the new build features five fewer ports than the original.
However, the Aircraft 2 helmet’s headlining improvement rides in on 100%’s introduction of its Smartshock Technology. Most bicycle helmets provide straight-on impact absorption. But in the field, most cyclists experience oblique, angular impacts that exert rotational acceleration and deceleration forces on the brain.
According to 100%, Smartshock addresses the problem by both absorbing and compressing direct impacts. The effect helps reduce energy transfer to the brain over a wide range of speed and impact types. The system’s elastomers also move independently of the helmet’s shell, further damping impact transfer to the brain.
Check out 100%’s Smartshock Techonology, including the brand’s how-it-works video, here.
Options and Availability
The 100% Aircraft 2 helmet will MSRP at $400. Four color and graphic choices are currently available; it’s unclear whether the Aircraft 2 will eventually feature the broad color palette of the original.
The entry does introduce enduro capacity to the Aircraft line, which was formerly designed for downhill and BMX.
Check out the Aircraft 2 page here for more details.